Summary: It's October 1995 on the Sharpe set in Turkey. Viggo Mortensen is just starting as make-up crewmember. Written for seans_50 challnge, 50 prompts table.

Rated: PG-13

Categories: Actor RPS Pairing: Sean/Viggo

Warnings: AU

Challenges:

Series: Sharpe's make-up

Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes

Word count: 7539 Read: 4490

Published: 06 Aug 2009 Updated: 06 Aug 2009

1-

“You go over there, mate.” One of the British crew points Viggo to his corner of the trailer, where he’s got some room to work.

Viggo sets up his brushes, powders, liquids and other tools, and then goes outside, sits on the steps and lights up a cigarette, while waiting for his actor. He can tell this is going to be a rough shoot, but the cast and crew of the Sharpe series seem to be a tight knit group. And even though he’s the new guy, he feels welcomed by the multicultured and -lingual men and women. It’s going to be a good experience to be in Turkey for two months. He won’t have a lot of time to look around, but the change of scenery will be refreshing.



--------------


2-

“Hiya, can I bum one off you?”

Viggo looks up.

“I’m Sean.” Sean holds out his hand.

“Viggo.” Viggo shakes it and hands Sean his cigarettes.

“Ah, cheers.” Sean takes out a cigarette and the lighter that’s in the pack, and lights up, inhaling deeply. Like it’s his first breath of the day. He looks around quickly to see if he can spot Gary, to ask him to fetch some cigarettes, but the drag has made him relax a little bit. Viggo… He hands back the pack. “You’re new, aren’t you?”

“Yes, got here yesterday. I’ll be doing your make-up.” Viggo smiles and thinks how lovely will it be to apply it every day.

“Oh, aye?” Sean thinks this merits some investigating. “Do you like football?”



--------------


3-

Because he’s used to the process, it’s not that awkward to have Sean half naked in his chair, waiting for him to apply Sharpe’s wounds, and the characteristic scar to cover the tattoo. It gives him an opportunity to appreciate his skin, though. Which is lovely… Sean isn’t a big talker, but that’s okay, Viggo can talk. Talk out of his arse, in fact.

Sean isn’t that particular about who he’s with on set. Still, Viggo is pleasant to be around. He talks easily and he doesn’t require Sean to participate actively. He makes Sean smile. And he likes football. Even if he hasn’t a clue about Sheffield United, but that’s forgivable since he’s not an Englishman. Sean thinks he should have a pint with him later.



--------------


4-

There isn’t a huge amount of talking possible in the hotel bar. It’s rowdy and there’s ambiance like in a proper pub, Sean informs Viggo, grinning happily. Viggo can’t disagree, but Sean is a little too adamant, like maybe he’s had a few too many. It strikes Viggo how easy-going and good-tempered Sean is, he’s never seen a main actor who’s this accessible.

And there’s the guy with the camera again. Viggo waves, but really, he doesn’t feel too relaxed with having that recording device in his face. He wonders if Sean’s just being nice, or if he actually doesn’t care. He’s extremely charming, maybe even more so because of his slight cluelessness about it… or maybe not. Sean winks at Viggo, and finishes his pint in one swallow.



--------------


5-

Sean walks on set with his sunglasses firmly in place. What was he thinking, drinking so much when they have a big scene to do today. Fortunately, there’s not much fighting or loud noises involved in today’s shots. But there's a lot of talky stuff. Which is excellent, because his tongue feels like rubber and his voice is going to be hard to find -- he hasn’t tried speaking yet.

“I think you can probably use one of these,” Gary grins, handing him a bottle of water.

How very attentive. Must be feeling guilty about egging Sean on last night. But he’s a good PA. A bit of a joker, but Sean likes that. Especially now. “Ta, Gaz,” he croaks, and drinks three quarters of the bottle in one go.



--------------


6-

“C’mere, I’ll make you look presentable,” Viggo smiles as Sean sits in the chair.

Sean looks like he’s hurting. Viggo gets his little icebox and takes out a cooled washcloth with icecubes in it. “Put your head back a little.” He puts his hand on Sean’s forehead as Sean tilts his head. He puts the cloth over his forehead and eyes and brushes a hand through Sean’s hair.

“That’s nice.” Sean’s voice is still hoarse.

“I suspected you might be in need of some ice today.”

“You’re a lifesaver.” Sean enjoys the hand in his hair as well, giving his scalp a light massage.

“Just try to relax a bit. We have some time,” Viggo says softly, almost lulling him to sleep.

“Thank you,” Sean hums.



--------------


7-

The day drags on as there’s a lot of waiting in between setting up shots. Sean feels better, but he’s pissed off at himself. When Viggo sits down with him, handing him a cup of tea, he feels a little embarrassed for what he did. “I don’t usually do that, you know. Drink like that when I’m working.”

“Okay.” Viggo can’t know if that’s true, but he accepts it.

No additional information follows.

They look at the scene being filmed some twenty yards away. Sean sips his tea, swallows, and feels the soothing warm liquid descend to his stomach. The temperature outside is quite high, but still his insides could do with a hot water bottle.

Someone gives Sean a five minute warning. On cue, Viggo crouches beside him and dabs at his face with a make-up sponge.



--------------


8-

Sean walks down the hall of the hotel to his room. He’s looking at the floor in front of him, while his hand presses on the nape of his neck, and he walks smack into Viggo.

Viggo, who’d been on his way down to see if Sean’s there, chuckles and looks straight into the gaze that has now been raised. He feels caught for having just been thinking about green eyes and now staring into them. Of course, Sean doesn’t know that, he thinks.

“Sorry,” Sean apologises with a small smile. “I wasn’t looking.”

“Oh, me either. Are you turning in?”

“Yeah, best not get up to anything foolish, again.”

Viggo nods, not sure what to say to that.

Sean hesitates. “I think I could stand one drink. You up for a beer? Gary left a sixpack in my room.”



--------------


9-

Sean’s not sure why he felt the need to ask Viggo to his room. Maybe because there’s something calming about his presence. Maybe because even though he’s not in the mood for a crowd, being alone isn’t that appealing either right now.

Viggo sits down on the small couch, a little awkwardly, and accepts a beer from Sean, who takes a seat on a chair. “Cheers.”

“Cheers.” Sean drinks from the can.

“So,” Viggo clears his throat. “I feel honoured to be here.”

Sean laughs. “Shut up.”

Viggo smiles. What the fuck is he doing to himself…

“Do you like it so far?”

“Yeah, everyone’s nice. There seems to be a lot of pairing up though.”

“Happened over the years,” Sean nods. “When you’re away for months on end…” He stops. Swallows.

And Viggo doesn’t press on.



--------------


10-

Sean doesn’t like to talk about his problems. Not really. But because they are at the forefront of his mind, everything is drenched in the colour of his mood. It’s why he’s separating himself. Though not from Viggo. There’s something different about the way Viggo pays attention to him. It’s subtle, but it’s there. It’s weird that this is the guy who does his make-up. He usually likes to keep a bit more distance. He would be pleasant, of course, but more detached. Sean smiles and sips his beer while he listens to Viggo babble.

Viggo is getting himself in trouble. He knows it, as Sean licks his wet lips after taking another sip, and he rambles on and on to hide how such a simple act affects him.