Summary: Two men on a mountain trip

Rated: NC-17

Categories: Actor RPS Pairing: Sean/Viggo

Warnings: None

Challenges:

Series: Into Thin Air

Chapters: 3 Completed: Yes

Word count: 5459 Read: 3249

Published: 06 Aug 2009 Updated: 06 Aug 2009

"Hey, sleepyhead, you'll miss the sunrise!" Sean could only grunt in response. How did Viggo manage to be so cheerful in the middle of the night?

"Careful, now, or I'll spill your tea!"

Slowly pushing himself up to a sitting position, Sean felt mildly claustrophobic: in the light of Viggo's head lamp their tent appeared even smaller than it actually was. He got his hands out of his sleeping bag without too much fumbling and gratefully accepted the steaming mug with a mumbled, "Thanks, mate, 's much appreciated."

A few sips later, Sean felt strong enough to face the day – the very early day. He knew he was not a morning person and, thankfully, Viggo knew this, too.

While the Brit drank his tea he heard the other man bustling about the camp site, preparing and packing things. Sean got up, dressed, and left the tent for a quick wee. The night sky was clear and still dark, except for a very faint glow in the East.

"We'll have ideal weather conditions today. Perfect for our trip." Viggo joined his friend and both men stood silently inhaling the crisp mountain air. "Fancy some breakfast?" The Dane motioned to the stove.

While Sean helped himself to the surprisingly tasty gruel in the pot he reflected on how the last two weeks could have passed already. It felt as if they'd only just left Viggo's place.

Viggo had invited him to this trip when they'd met at the film festival in Toronto in September of the last year. Back then, Sean had tried to recall how long it had been that they hadn't seen each other; had it been months, or maybe even years? Promises to keep in touch after Rings had been no problem at first when they'd bumped into each other at the premieres, but later they'd met less frequently.

Sean had been in high demand, and consequently, very busy. Although he'd spent a major part of the last two or three years in North America, he and Viggo had never managed to be in the same place at the same time. Contact had soon been reduced to phone calls, and more often to voice mail messages when they'd failed to reach each other.

The week in Toronto had been exhausting. Considering the tight schedules both men had to endure, it was amazing that they'd spent time together at all. They'd treasured the few precious evenings together, sneaking away from their respective parties, dinners and appointments.

Viggo had rejoiced to find Sean in high spirits and generally content with his life, but he'd also noticed that the Brit had looked worn out, tired from having to constantly be 'on'.

The festival had been over much too soon and Sean had left for London immediately to spend a little time with his family before taking off again for his next project.

On their last evening in Toronto, Viggo had talked a slightly drunk Sean into visiting him at his place in Idaho.

After returning to England, the Brit had tried to bail out pleading work, but Viggo had insisted that his friend needed time off. In the end, Sean had accepted the invitation.

It had still taken the better part of a year for him to finally make it to Idaho, and after a few days of relaxing and catching up with each other they'd set out for hiking in the Rocky Mountains. They'd spent a week in the back country, and the two friends planned to end their trip with the ascent of Mt. Anne, a 12,500 foot peak.

Both men had relished the loneliness of the autumnal scenery. They hadn't met a single person on the trails so far. Walking during the days, mostly in silent companionship, and spending quiet evenings, they'd pitched their small tent in places of breathtaking beauty. They'd had early nights, crept into their sleeping bags right after watching the sun set, often over a glacier lake with its incredible green colour. It was a dream.

The previous night, they'd driven up to the trail head for Mt. Anne. The weather conditions looked promising and their camp site was enchanting, a quiet spot sheltered by trees on the shore of a small lake.

Both men had felt elated by the peace that had settled into their hearts. They'd gone to bed early in happy anticipation of scaling the summit the next day.

Sean finished his meal and helped Viggo clear their camp for the day. They'd return in the evening to spend another day at the lake before hiking out and driving back to Sandpoint. From there, Sean would leave for England a few days later. Both men, however, preferred not to dwell on that point.

They left camp half an hour later with Sean carrying the single backpack they'd decided to take along. In addition to provisions for the day, warm and water-proof clothes for both of them, it held a first-aid kit and a bivouac bag – a waterproof bag to be used as emergency shelter. Viggo's pack with the stove and food was secured with a rope over a high tree branch to keep bears out of it, and they'd left their sleeping bags in the tent.

They made good progress, and, after witnessing a spectacular sunrise, they found that their path provided tremendous views. High above the tree line they could easily make out even the far-away peaks covered in snow. The scenery was breathtaking. So was, as it turned out, the trail, meandering upwards in steep switchbacks. Sean was surprised to be so short-winded but grew reassured when he heard that Viggo's breathing was equally laboured. They were, after all, already at an altitude of more than 10,000 feet.

After two hours they took a break, shared a few granola bars and water, and leaned against an outcrop of rock to take in the valley below. Sean sighed contentedly. It was so good to be here, just him and Viggo and no commitments other than to enjoy themselves.

Shortly before noon they reached the summit ridge. It was narrow, with flanks falling off steeply to both sides. Noticing how close they were to the peak, Viggo's face lit up.

"Come on, Sean, we're almost there!" He smiled broadly and increased his pace.

Sean followed him hesitantly. He began to feel distinctly uncomfortable when he realised how exposed the ridge was. Reluctant to spoil Viggo's enthusiasm, he pulled himself together. He took a deep breath and started to walk. With his eyes levelled firmly to the ground, he tried to ignore the abysses to both sides of his path.
Meanwhile, Viggo had reached the end of the ridge. To get to the mountain top he had to scramble up a ten-foot-high boulder, and then at last he was standing on the summit plateau. He was slightly breathless, delighted at the full panoramic view opening in front of him, his hands unconsciously but in vain reaching for his camera.

When Sean arrived at the boulder, he was almost at the end of his tether. Crossing the ridge had cost him more than he cared to admit. On seeing this final obstacle, he faltered. He'd known that he didn't particularly like heights, but he'd never expected it to be this bad. After all, he'd been in the mountains before and he'd enjoyed it, especially those last two weeks with Viggo. He knew that his friend would never expose him to danger but he was not sure he could climb this rock.

On the other hand, looking back he wondered how he had ever managed to traverse the ridge that appeared far more narrow and menacing now than it had a few minutes ago. His mind began to spin as he frantically fought for the resolve to continue – either way. All he wanted to do was to take hold of – whatever, anything firm would do – and never let go again. He closed his eyes, trying to will the abyss away.

After taking in the scenery for a few minutes, Viggo turned to Sean and frowned, wondering why the Brit had not yet joined him. He went back to the boulder and glanced down. Initially relieved by seeing Sean at the foot of the boulder, he grew concerned upon realising how drawn the other man looked.

The Dane mentally kicked himself. While the traverse along the ridge and the short scramble were by no means dangerous, he had to admit that both were exposed enough to be quite scary for someone prone to vertigo. It only now occurred to him that apparently Sean had no head for heights.

Viggo lowered himself to meet Sean at the bottom of the boulder. The blond sat crouched on the ground with his eyes closed, softly panting. He looked up when he felt a firm hand on his shoulder.

"You all right, Sean?" Green eyes met slate blue, concerned ones.

"Will be. Just give me a minute..." Sean tried to appear composed but could not mask his shakiness.

Viggo tightened his grip reassuringly before letting go and squatting down next to his miserable-looking friend, close enough but not crowding him. They remained silent for a few minutes. Finally Sean's breathing eased and he rose slowly.

"I suppose I'll have to do it sooner or later," he sighed. "Might as well have it done with now."

Viggo also got up and reached for the backpack. He was relieved when the other man didn't fight him.

"Do you want to go first or should I?" Viggo asked gently.

"Let me go first, then you can catch me if I don't make it." Sean still looked shaken but determined now.

Viggo nodded and grinned. "I'll watch your arse."
Groaning, Sean replied, "Thanks for the warning, mate. That's the incentive I need to get it over with quickly." With a final deep breath, he scrambled up the boulder. Once on top he stepped away from the edge, sat on the ground, and closed his eyes again.

Viggo arrived a few seconds later and hugged the trembling blond tightly to his chest. "I knew you could do it," he whispered into Sean's ear.
Sean gave him a lopsided grin. "Didn't have much choice now, did I? I mean, it was either up or back, and..." He swallowed. They'd have to down climb the boulder and traverse the ridge again on their way back.

"Don't think about it now." Viggo's voice was soothing. "Let's have a cuppa, shall we?"

The Brit's face lit up. "You brought tea? The Englishman's answer to every problem? You won't hear me object, mate." Sean chuckled, his spirits restored, at least temporarily.

Viggo laughed and poured the tea. It felt good to relax, eat and drink, and gaze at the scenery far below them. Then Sean retrieved the map from the pack and frowned at it.

Leaning against Sean's shoulder, Viggo peered at the map, too. Sean pointed at a meandering path to the West. "It looks as if this trail also meets the one to our little lake? I wonder how much longer it would take us. I mean, we have two or three hours to spare since we left early, so maybe we could go that way?"

"About three or four miles," Viggo made a quick estimate. "We'd have to go over this pass here and that's another ascent of 1,300 feet, but I think we should be able to reach our camp before it gets dark."

The Dane smiled to himself at seeing Sean's eager face. The decision was made. They would not only avoid the exposed ridge; they'd also have the chance to see the valleys on the other side of Mt. Anne. "Since we'll take the longer way down, let's not linger. Shall we go?"

Sean collected the empty thermos and their cups while Viggo checked their map once more. After a last look at the surrounding landscape, the two men left the summit.