Printer
Table of Contents
- Text Size +

Summary: Just a short ficlet for Valentines Day

Rated: PG-13

Categories: Actor RPS Pairing: Sean/Viggo

Warnings: None

Challenges:

Series: None

Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes

Word count: 498 Read: 1011

Published: 03 Aug 2009 Updated: 03 Aug 2009

Viggo has always been an incorrigible romantic.

Sean hasn’t.

Oh, he knew, throughout his long years of involvement with women, including three marriages, that certain romantic gestures were expected. He could play the game, buying flowers, big, glossy cards with hearts and soppy words and coming up with the requisite items of jewellery, candlelit dinners, even the odd weekend in Paris or Rome, but if truth were told, his heart had never really been in it.

He had always thought that it was just too easy to make those kinds of gestures, which were ultimately meaningless. Blokes could, and in his experience did, buy flowers, when they were not only cheating on their wives, but on their girlfriends too, or when they stayed out half the night drinking or gambled away the housekeeping money.

Sean had never been able to understand why birds found these things so important, when they were so frequently used to keep them sweet and quiet, while covering up the most outrageous betrayals.

He had always known that you showed someone you loved them in the way you touched them, kissed them, made love to them and in the general way you behaved. He just didn’t get why buying flowers or such was so important to women and he had never come across a bloke as romantic as Viggo before.

Viggo really seemed to go for making these little gestures and Sean had got used to the toast cut into heart shapes, when he was treated to breakfast in bed, the post-it notes with scraps of poetry left stuck to the fridge, the thoughtful little gifts, the urging to come out and look at this sunset, or that sunrise. The trouble was that although he found it cute and endearing in Viggo, he had never been able to reciprocate.

It wasn’t that he didn’t love Viggo with all his heart, a love discovered against all the odds in mid-life, just when he had given up expecting to find it and resigned himself to failure, battered by three divorces. It wasn’t that he felt he couldn’t show Viggo how much he loved him every time they touched, or even just by looking at him across a crowded room. It was just that he wasn’t gifted with Viggo’s imagination or creativity and all the usual, conventional gestures seemed cheesy and empty.

What Sean needed was a grand romantic gesture, one big thing to show his gratitude for all those little things Viggo did.

His brow furrowed, Sean continued flicking through his magazine, when he suddenly noticed the article about a particular artist with an unusual form of self-expression and suddenly, it came to him……..

Which was why Viggo returned home on Valentine’s day, and to his astonishment and delight, met with a home entirely wrapped in 500 square feet of wrapping paper covered in red hearts and complete with an enormous pink bow on the roof.