Printer
Table of Contents
- Text Size +

Summary: Viggo found the magazine several months before the release of the movie...

Rated: PG-13

Categories: Actor RPS Pairing: Sean/Viggo

Warnings: None

Challenges:

Series: None

Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes

Word count: 625 Read: 921

Published: 02 Aug 2009 Updated: 02 Aug 2009

Viggo found the magazine several months before the release of the movie - a special edition about what would be on screen the next season. He didn't usually buy this kind of press - he barely bought papers in fact, having his favourite Internet sources for news - but he was stuck in this airport without his sketch book, waiting for Henry's delayed flight. So he wandered by the newsagents and was drawn by the four golden letters of the eponymous city, and the glimmering picture of its shining sons on the cover. He fetched some cash from his back pocket and brought the journal with him to a quiet corner, flipping the pages, expecting some shots of Sean or Orlando. He admitted to himself that their five-minute calls over the past months had left him with the feeling of being the distant relative, and greedy for news about the family.

The article appeared before his eyes. Many pictures and few texts with over-polished phrases. He focused on the images. Trojans and Greeks were exulting in polychromatic self-satisfaction. Hector exhibited glistening muscles hardly covered by his tunic. Boastful Agamemnon was watching his armies from above, no doubt assuming they would beat the city of Apollo whatever the God had to say in the matter. Lofty Achilles was in a league of his own, leading his horse arrogantly in the vanguard. Even Paris, in spite of his so-called cowardice, was prancing in front of the people cheering him and his lovely fianca33;e.

Viggo was crushed. Nothing to do with the cheerful and friendly family of the Rings set. The tone and the choice of photographs of the article were full of non-hidden conceit, giving the impression each member of the epic story was entrenched in his own ivory tower.

Viggo still had to see the full-page picture. Clad with a leathery armour, the bearded warrior standing in the sand was the blatant image of haughtiness. Viggo sensed the chill coming through him and felt sorry for buying this thing in the first place. He coldly realized it wasn't the kind of news he expected about Sean. He needed his attentive ear and time to ramble in it, not an awkward and too short call every six weeks. He wanted a real body to hug and not to search for up-to-date images of his friend in characters on movie posters.

Viggo peered back at the page. Odysseus was looking into the horizon, oblivious of the others, maybe scheming a plan up to his ego.

You weren't so full of yourself when you died in my arms. You weren't that braggart when you came to me that night and asked for comfort.

Viggo forced himself to wash the bitterness away from his thoughts. Today wasn't the time for regrets over impulsive acts of the past. All the more so when these impulses had led to clumsy groping and trading hands to stroke a cock that had felt new under the fingers. All had happened too fast, and they had parted with the tacit agreement to erase the evening from their minds, somehow to protect a friendship Viggo felt was melting under a sun of glazed paper.

Without a look for the poster in the middle, he dropped the magazine in the first bin that crossed his path towards the terminal where, at last, Henry's plane was announced.

When the call came that night, Viggo's anger was still boiling and he didn't pick up the phone nor listen to the message. He took Henry for a hike and when they came back, Perceval Press required his attending to a meeting in LA. Viggo found it convenient enough to forget his cell phone, left at home for both the trips.