Summary: David takes a stray cat home..

Rated: NC-17

Categories: Crossovers Pairing: David Shaw/Sean

Warnings: AU

Challenges:

Series: None

Chapters: 7 Completed: Yes

Word count: 8806 Read: 6384

Published: 13 May 2010 Updated: 13 May 2010

He felt a bit better when he had things settled. Despite what that sonofabitch Steven thought of him, he was no murderer. He never wanted her to die, he never wanted any of them to die; he just wanted the money. Of all of them, Emily had been the biggest fish, but apart from that she was sweet and he really liked her. Still, he could not go back to prison, he would not be up to it, so unfortunately she would die tomorrow, but not by his hand.

He had thought about it ever since he and Emily’s husband had that talk. His brain, always at its sharpest when he was caught like a rat in a trap, had sought for a way out. He had this friend; the one good thing left over from his time inside and after speaking to him, he had eagerly agreed to David’s proposition.

He still felt restless. He wanted to get away from his loft, away from the big painting he had made of Emily, the eyes staring at him accusingly, or so it seemed.

The bar had been crowded and noisy and after a few beers he’d managed to put it all out of his head. He would have to go home eventually, couldn’t afford to get really drunk. He needed to keep sober, so two hours later he paid and walked out. Walking past the alley just behind the bar he looked up when he heard the soft whistle. Peering around the wall, he could just make out the dark silhouette, but when the man stepped under the street lamp and the light fell upon the blond hair, he recognised the English guy who worked in the shop where he bought his paints and brushes.

“Hey,” he said, smiling at the other man, remembering how he had looked at David the last time he went to the shop and made him pay for only half of the things he bought, as if he had known David had been short, “What are you doing here?” It was a stupid kind of question, because really, it was quite obvious what he was doing.

The other guy grinned; showing a row of perfect, white teeth. “Well, what the fuck does it look like mate? You looked kind of lonely and I thought… well, I guess I was wrong, sorry about that.”

“But you have the job at the art shop,” David said, stepping up closer.

“Had. They fired me yesterday, without notice. God bless America! I couldn’t pay this week’s rent and my landlord kicked me out, so I fell back to me old profession, a man needs to eat and a place to sleep, doesn’t he? Not that I’ve had any luck tonight so far.“

David smiled back, thought about his spacious loft and all the money that would come his way soon. Besides, if he took the man with him, he wouldn’t be alone tonight, wouldn’t have to face Emily’s accusing eyes. They could talk and tomorrow he could call Emily to cancel their lunch date.

“You can sleep at my place,” he offered, raising a hand when the other stepped closer. “Not for that, I am just offering you a roof above your head for the night.”

“That’s pretty decent of you, mate,” the man said, “I am Sean,” offering his hand and slinging a bag over his shoulder..

“I am David. I live right around the corner.”

All the way up to his loft in the rattling old elevator, David wondered if he had made a mistake. He didn’t really know Sean and it wasn’t a wise thing, certainly not in New York, to invite a perfect stranger to your place. He shrugged, thinking how there was not a thing worth stealing apart from his paintings and those were too big. He looked up at Sean who stood in the corner of the elevator watching him closely. “Almost there,” he said and then they stepped out.

He grabbed two beers from the refrigerator while Sean walked around and looked at his work, whistling appreciatively when he saw Emily’s portrait.

He looked at David, accepting the proffered beer. “Thanks! She looks posh, that your girlfriend?”

“Nah,” David said, “just someone I know,” turning around deliberately to get Sean away from Emily, leading him to the middle, to the big bed, only now realizing he had no couch or anything he could let Sean sleep on. Following David’s gaze, Sean shrugged and smiled,

“I’ll sleep on the floor, I am fine with that. It won’t be the first time and at least I’ll be warm and dry.” He put down the bag he carried over his shoulder and pulled out a sweater. “You have somewhere I can brush my teeth?”

“Sure,” David pointed over his shoulder, “bathroom is over there. You can take a shower if you’d like, there are towels in the cabinet under the sink.”

“Thanks mate!” Sean smiled at him again, finishing his beer in just a few gulps, then bending down and rummaging through his bag, coming up with a toothbrush. He shrugged off his coat and then pulled off the t-shirt underneath it, exposing a lean, muscled chest. As he turned and went into the small bathroom, David sat on the bed and watched him walking away, thinking about what was on offer, a shared bed, warm body, distraction and yes, he’d been there, good and bad, but tonight it would be good. A slippery slope of thoughts, but tonight it would work for him, would fill a need.

“You can sleep here,” he said, feigning nonchalance and patting the bed when Sean returned, wearing shorts and a sweater and nothing else, “bed sure is big enough.”

A smile tugged at the corner of Sean’s mouth while he climbed into the bed.

“I’ve seen worse mate.”