Printer
Table of Contents
- Text Size +

Summary: Sean's first beard was a scraggly affair

Rated: PG

Categories: Actor RPS Pairing: Sean/Viggo

Warnings: None

Challenges:

Series: None

Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes

Word count: 457 Read: 1005

Published: 17 Aug 2009 Updated: 17 Aug 2009

Sean's first beard was a scraggly affair, more like a smudge or a shadow than a real, solid growth of hair, but he was proud, prouder of it than of the baby tooth he knocked out on a doorknob when he was six. He could spit water a good metre or so through the gap he'd made, and that was a talent. But the beard, now that was a sign that he was a man. It didn't matter much that his voice had barely dropped and he still couldn't drive. It gave him bragging rights, and that's all that mattered.

He didn't shave it off until a year or so later when those few intrepid hairs grew in with a vengeance, prickling, itching, scraping at his hand when he rubbed his chin in thought, when he covered his mouth to hide a grin. He decided early on, once the bragging rights of childhood dropped away, that he didn't much like beards. It was easier to keep everything smooth, neat, orderly. The floor of his car might be littered with maps and paper and wrappers and scripts, but he himself could be smooth, neat, and orderly.

Sure, the time came when he was directed to grow a beard for that part or this, and he did so happily, only surreptitiously scratching at the hairs between takes. He wasn't going to complain. And he didn't.

But once he was done a job that required a beard, the first thing he'd do was shave it off, watch in the mirror as the character dropped away, as Sean -- smooth, neat, and orderly -- returned.

Boromir required facial hair, of course, because who has time for shaving when there's a war to be fought? A city to protect? And Sean fully intended to see Boromir through and then stand in front of that mirror, smoothly slide the blade across skin, neatly cut the son of the Steward away until the Sheffield bloke was back behind his eyes where he belonged.

He fully intended to do so.

That is, until he met Viggo.

Beards didn't prickle so much under the touch of another callused hand. They didn't scratch when rubbed against another's stomach. Didn't itch. Tickled, maybe.

When shooting wrapped, when everyone scattered to the four winds, Sean found himself in front of that same mirror holding another blade. But he could feel the memory of a rasp of a beard that wasn't his own across the back of his hand, and he knew this little ritual wouldn't make a difference, not this time. Nothing was smooth, neat, orderly anymore. Not even Sean.

So now, just for now he'd let it linger, long enough to remember, long enough so he couldn't forget.