Summary: Sean visits Viggo on location in Spain

Rated: NC-17

Categories: Actor RPS Pairing: Sean/Viggo

Warnings: None

Challenges:

Series: spar

Chapters: 19 Completed: Yes

Word count: 34004 Read: 29289

Published: 16 Aug 2009 Updated: 16 Aug 2009

"Viggo, look. You really, really need to get laid, mate."

Viggo chuckled into the phone, enjoying this conversation with Bean.

"And you don't, pal? I mean, sure, your record with the women speaks for itself and all..."

He heard a throaty laugh in response.

"Actually, I'm doing just fine on that score, if you must know. Still able to work that 'bit of rough' image quite nicely on a good day, thank you very much. And since I'm your best mate and one of the very few people who will actually endure a night in a pub with you going on about art and bottles and the last book you read and fish and anything and everything except the women lining up two booths away trying to plan some maneuver to get into your line of sight...for all of that, mate, I think I'm going to have to invite myself there to visit. Make sure you actually get out where you might meet someone. Besides, it was Boromir, not Aragorn, who kicked ass in that sword flick and if you're going to look anything like you should in this new movie, maybe I should offer myself as your sparring partner for a day or two."

Viggo really laughed now, knowing that as much as he teased, Sean had really hated that Boromir died so soon in the trilogy. It hadn't been that he'd wanted more screen time; he'd freely acknowledged that what he missed most by being sent home early was the fun he'd had 'just playing with me mates', as he referred to it. He had not wanted to break away from the fellowship of the actors whose company he had come to enjoy so much and had made a point of popping back on set whenever he could all the way until the third film was in the can.

He and Viggo had stayed in touch during that time but had also continued to do so outside the context of LOTR. In their own private lives, they were clearly of similar ages and temperaments and they'd come to rely on each other's friendship, using each other as sounding boards through parenting problems, work issues, discussions about travel, politics, art and just about everything else.

Early on, Sean had spoken to Viggo fairly often about his own trials and tribulations with the opposite sex. When he'd come to New Zealand, his marriage had been all but over; it had been officially over by the time he'd left. He didn't share so much of that type of information these days, but then again, he thought ruefully, there hadn't been that much worth writing home about lately. He wasn't sure if his age was catching up with him or not, but a lot of the girls he'd been with over the last few years just hadn't done it for him. Very few had rated more than a casual one-nighter.

Viggo was a lot less forthcoming about his own relationships, so much so that Sean wasn't really sure to what extent there had actually been any significant relationships for him since Exene. He knew there had been a rather vague association with Lola before and during part of the LOTR years but Viggo hadn't spoken of it much at all, not even then. Although lasting for several years, it hadn't seemed to have any of the intensity that he imagined Viggo would have for a lover. The crazy Dane got more passionate when speaking of his mail carrier or the man who owned the empanada restaurant in Venice than he did when he'd spoken of that girl. Sean laughed to himself as it dawned on him that he had no idea where Lola lived but he knew that Empanada's Place was right on Sawtelle Boulevard in the town where Viggo lived.

Over the last few months, as Viggo had settled more into his Alatriste persona and made the move to Spain, Sean had been teasingly encouraging him more frequently to 'get a life'. He knew that, for himself, he was feeling like he wanted to be in love, wanted to have a soul mate to spend his time loving and being loved by, and he could only imagine that Viggo must be in a similar space in his own life. Viggo's only child would soon be heading off to college and he anticipated that Viggo would want some more permanent connection added elsewhere in his life. He'd seen the kind of opportunities Viggo had and they were all the ones people would expect a handsome, intelligent, well-off, eligible celebrity male to have. And yet, Viggo remained unattached after all this time.

In the case of himself, Sean could easily imagine that his own shortcomings kept him from finding and forming a real relationship. He knew that he had to face the fact that a man with three failed marriages to his credit surely had some work to do on himself before he was going to find what he was looking for. But it always surprised him that Viggo was still alone. Viggo had always struck him as just the type woman accused him of not being: sensitive, faithful, communicative and so on. Maybe he should hate the bloke, he thought wryly.

"So, what's it to be then, mate? When will you take me in?"

"Anytime, Sean. You know that. It would be great to see you! Get your ass over here. We're going to be outside of Madrid for a while. Would you mind bunking in a trailer with me if we need to? For old time's sake?" Viggo laughed as he said the last sentence. The whole cast and what seemed like half the crew had ended up piled in various trailers during some of the various LOTR shoots. Modesty and personal space had quickly become secondary to the need for sleep or unconsciousness, depending on how much alcohol had been consumed on a given night.

"Sounds like a date to me," said Sean with a laugh. "But if I'm coming all that way to find you a woman, you'd better plan to spring for a hotel room once you have her, mate! I won't end up sleeping in the woods this time just to give anyone their privacy. Me back won't take it anymore!"

After a bit more talking about kids and projects, they'd set a timeframe and agreed to talk again before Sean made the trip. Both hung up like they always did, having enjoyed the reconnection and vaguely looking forward to their next chat.