Printer
Table of Contents
- Text Size +

Summary: Sean never listens..

Rated: G

Categories: Actor RPS Pairing: Sean/Viggo

Warnings: None

Challenges:

Series: None

Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes

Word count: 400 Read: 700

Published: 15 Aug 2009 Updated: 15 Aug 2009

The two men entered the gallery, still laughing over some awful football joke. Viggo had insisted on wearing his San Lorenzo pendant and Sean wouldn’t leave the house without his Blades’ lapel badge, “Because”, he’d argued, “I don’t want to be taken for some arty-farty type, just there for the pretentious, artificial talk”.

Viggo sympathised. He hated gallery openings. Having to mingle and talk with strangers about his work; having to explain himself, when really all he wanted was to let the art speak for itself and leave people to show their appreciation by buying if they were genuinely impressed.

Later in the evening the two friends met up again in front of one of the larger pieces which hadn’t yet attracted a “sold” sticker. Sean grinned to himself at Viggo’s expression, standing there with his head cocked studiously to one side, a curious, unfathomable look on his face.

“I can’t believe how well it’s gone tonight”, said Sean, beaming.

“Sean . . .”

“No, don’t be shy about it Viggo – your first art show in London’s a great success, you can’t deny it!”.

“But, Sean . . .”

“I know you were nervous about it, love, but I haven’t heard one bad comment tonight – nothing but admiration”, Sean gushed, his words tumbling over each other in his efforts to re-assure the artist.

“But this one, Sean . . .”

“. . . is as fine as all the rest, Viggo. Just because it’s not sold yet doesn’t mean anything. Look at all the others – instantly snapped up by your shrewd admirers”.

“But Sean, listen . . .”

“No honestly, Viggo, you’ve no reason to doubt yourself at all. The whole evening’s been a tremendous success”. Sean knew he was rambling, but he’d try anything not to let Viggo sink into introspection and worry that his work wasn’t appreciated or understood. He came to an abrupt halt, though, as Viggo kicked him on the shin and all but yelled, “Sean!!!!”

“Okay love, sorry”. Sean held up a placating hand. “What did you want to say?”

“This painting, Sean”, hissed Viggo, quieter now.

“I told you . . .”

“Shut up!”

Silence.

“This painting . . . is upside down . . .”

“Oh”.