Printer
Table of Contents
- Text Size +

Summary: A fairytale based on "The Golden Bird" by the Brothers Grimm, with a smidgen of "Ladyhawke".

Rated: R

Categories: Actor RPS Pairing: Sean/Viggo

Warnings: None

Challenges:

Series: None

Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes

Word count: 4625 Read: 959

Published: 09 Aug 2009 Updated: 09 Aug 2009

Long ago there was a Queen who had a beautiful garden, and in that garden was a tree which bore golden apples. And this was the source of her wealth, so as the apples ripened they were counted, but one morning one was missing. Queen Leandre was enraged and ordered a watch to be set round the tree during the night and she told her oldest son to lead the guard.

The oldest son stayed awake as long as he could, but by midnight, he and the other soldiers were asleep. In the morning another apple was missing and the Queen's wrath grew. She sent her second son to the garden that night, but he fared no better than his brother.

Queen Leandre's youngest son was named Viggo and he begged to be allowed to stand guard the third night. His mother doted on him and was reluctant to allow him the responsibility, but she agreed that he should have his chance. Viggo was determined to show that he was old enough to have his own command and so he did not sleep. Right after midnight, Viggo saw something glinting in the moonlight, flying very quickly to the tree. It was a bird whose feathers gleamed with gold. The bird had already picked an apple from the tree and was flapping back to the sky, when Viggo recovered his wits and loosed an arrow at it. The bird did not pause, but the arrow struck true and a golden feather drifted to the ground. Viggo picked up the feather and in the morning, explained to his mother, the Queen, what had happened.

The Queen called her council together and all agreed that the feather was very valuable. Queen Leandre declared that while the feather was worth a great deal of gold, the bird had stolen her apples and she would be content with nothing but the whole bird.

Viggo claimed the quest for his own, because he had gotten the feather, but the Queen refused, for she was loath to part with her youngest son. She gave the task instead to his oldest brother, who set off immediately, convinced that his own cleverness would soon lead him to the bird. When he had gone some distance, he saw a fox sitting on the edge of a wood.

"Do not shoot me!" the fox cried out. "You are on a quest to find a golden bird. Take this advice: when you come to the next village, turn away from the brightly-lit noisy inn, and go instead to the quiet, humble inn."

The Queen's son was not inclined to listen to beasts, no matter that they might be able to talk, so he loosed an arrow at the fox. Fortunately, the fox escaped and the man continued his journey. When he arrived at the village, he ignored the fox's wise advice and sought out the bright tavern. He drank a quantity of ale and was quite merry, and by morning had forgotten about the bird and his mother, and all good counsel.

As time went on and the oldest son did not return, the second son was resolved to seek the bird for his mother. He met with the fox, just as his older brother had and the fox offered him the same advice. The second son threw his knife at the fox and when he got to the town, his brother was standing at the window of the tavern, quite inebriated, and calling for his brother to join him. Soon, the two brothers were deep in their revelry and gave no more thoughts to their family and their responsibilities.

After the second brother did not come back, Viggo was determined to find the bird. Queen Leandre would not consent, for she feared to lose him. Viggo eventually prevailed and he left in the same direction his brothers had taken. By the side of the wood, he encountered the fox.

"Do not shoot me!" cried the fox. And he repeated the words that he had said to the two older brothers.

"Be easy, little fox," said Viggo. "I will do you no harm."

"You shall be well paid for your kindness," replied the fox. "So that you may get there sooner, you may sit on my tail." No sooner had Viggo done so, then the fox started running and off they went over stock and stone, so that the wind whistled in their hair.

When they reached the village, Viggo followed the fox's advice and went into the rundown looking inn. He secured a room and fell asleep quickly. Sometime during the night, he awoke to find bearded lips kissing his own. Viggo tried desperately to open his eyes to see who had approached him thus, but he was quite blind. The stranger grew more aggressive and Viggo found himself unconsciously responding to the caresses which seemed to ignite a fire within him. He wrapped his arms around the man's neck and he clenched his fingers in the long, silky hair. His body was aching as the kisses deepened.

But then the lips drew away and a calloused hand caressed his cheek. "No more for now, my prince," whispered a voice. Viggo tried to remain awake to follow his visitor, but sleep overwhelmed and he knew no more until morning.

When Viggo awoke, he was sure that he had been dreaming, except for the peculiar fact that his lips were chafed and stinging from the stranger's beard. He tried to forget the incident as he prepared to depart to resume his search. In a field outside the village, the fox was waiting for him.

The animal told him, "I will help you further. Keep to this road until you see a castle. There will be a large band of soldiers guarding it, but do not trouble about them, for they will be asleep and snoring. When you enter the castle, you will see the golden bird in a cage of twigs and sticks. Beside that cage you will see another, a fine cage made of gold and covered with jewels. If you value your life, do not try to move the bird from the cage he is in to the golden cage."

Then the fox stretched out his tail and Viggo sat on it, and then away they went over stock and stone, so that the wind whistled through their hair. They stopped in front of the castle, which Viggo entered and found everything exactly as the fox had described it. However, when he saw the golden bird in the humble cage, he thought that a bird of such magnificence should have a cage to match it, therefore he tried to transfer the bird into the golden cage.

The bird immediately began shrieking and calling and the soldiers awoke and seized Viggo. They brought him before the lord of the castle who sentenced Viggo to death for trying to steal the bird. However, the lord said he would spare Viggo's life on one condition, that he should bring to the lord a golden horse whose paces were said to be faster than the wind. The lord would give the golden bird to Viggo as a reward for the golden horse.

Viggo set off to find the golden horse, but he was dispirited because he had no idea where to start looking. After a time, he saw his old friend, the fox, beside the road.

"This is what comes of you not listening to me," said the fox. "But I will help you once more. We will rest for the night and I will take you to the horse in the morning."

Viggo settled down for the night and the fox disappeared to hunt for his supper. The Queen's son ate his dinner and then lay staring at the stars as his eyes drifted slowly closed. He awoke once again to ravishing kisses from the bearded man. He struggled to see his lover, but once again he was blinded and could not even see the stars.

Viggo wrenched his lips away. "Please, who are you?" he begged.

The stranger chuckled, "Not just yet, my prince. We have more to learn. Are you ready to proceed with the lesson?"

Viggo gasped as the man's voice washed over him, firing his senses. "Yes," he whispered.

The prince squirmed fitfully as the lips began to make their way down his torso. The stranger nibbled and licked his nipples, before biting down hard on his chest. Viggo yelped in pain and lips continued their journey. Finally, wet heat engulfed his straining member, and slick fingers entered his body. Viggo howled in surprise and pleasure at the invasions and he climaxed rapidly. The stranger licked him clean and then the lips covered his own again with slow, drugging kisses. Viggo felt his awareness begin to slip away, and no matter how hard he fought it, he soon tumbled back into sleep. In the morning, Viggo would have dismissed the incident as a dream, except that he had a perfect bite mark on the left side of his chest, directly over his heart. He made ready for the day's journey in a haze of desire and anticipation. His mysterious nocturnal visitor had awakened him to pleasure and he wanted more.

Viggo set off down the road and soon encountered the fox, who said, "Straight down this way a fair distance, you will find another castle. Go directly to the stable where the golden horse stands in his stall. The grooms will be lying in front of the stable door, but they will be asleep and snoring. If you go in quietly, you will be able to lead out the horse. But one thing I must warn you against: put the plain saddle of wood and leather on the horse, and pay no heed to the golden one, which will hang close by. It will go badly for you if you ignore my words."

After he had finished instructing Viggo, the fox stretched out his tail and the Queen's son sat down upon it, and away they went, through stock and stone, until the wind whistled through their hair.

When they arrived at the castle, Viggo went round to the stable, and found everything was as the fox had said. He came to the stall where the golden horse stood, and he was about to put the plain saddle on the horse. But Viggo thought that it would be a disgrace to put such an ugly saddle on such a beautiful horse, and so he picked up the golden saddle instead.

However, no sooner did the horse feel the golden saddle upon his back, then he began to kick and neigh. The grooms of course awoke immediately and grabbed Viggo. They took him before the lord of the castle, who condemned him to death for trying to steal the horse. But the lord promised to grant his freedom if he could bring back the beautiful Prince of the golden castle, and the lord would bestow upon Viggo the golden horse in exchange.

Viggo's heart was heavy as he set out, but he soon encountered the faithful fox.

"I should leave you to your ill-luck," the animal scolded, "but I am sorry for you and I will help you once more. We will rest and seek the golden Prince in the morning."

Viggo made a small fire and ate his meager dinner, sharing what little he had with his companion. The Queen's son settled into his blankets, while the fox was busily occupied with grooming his tail. Viggo was restless and could not sleep, for he was hoping that his visitor of the past two nights would come to him. But sleep swept over him eventually.

Once again, Viggo awoke to the feel of lips on his and his loins already tight with desire. And once again, he could not see the man who embraced him. Viggo curled his fingers in silken hair as he tried to map the lines of the face before him with his mouth.

Viggo was trembling when the stranger pulled away. "Please claim me," he whispered. "For I will have no other."

The stranger pushed Viggo's hair away from his face with a gentle hand. "You do not know what you ask."

"I know that there is more and I want you to show me," Viggo answered him.

"You've never even seen me," the man argued.

"My heart sees you," Viggo said as his hips arched against his tormentor.

The man gave a strangled moan. "You undo my good resolutions. There will be pain."

"Please," Viggo said as he leaned back and spread his legs. The stranger quickly unfastened Viggo's leggings and soon the prince was bare to the night. Viggo heard the rustling sounds of his lover removing his own clothes and then a lean, strong body covered his own. Viggo let his hands roam where his eyes could not, tracing the muscular contours of the form pressing him into the ground. The stranger rolled Viggo to his side and then entered him in one long, smooth stroke. The pain was momentary and soon gave way to rapture. The prince's head was spinning and his lover guided them both to completion.

Viggo fought to stay awake but he was truly exhausted from his unusual activities and soon he was slumbering deeply. He was alone when he awoke in the morning with nothing but a slight soreness to remind him of his experience. He was soon on his way and met the fox a few miles down the road. "The golden castle where the Prince resides is along this road. You must heed me this time, for if you do not, I cannot help you. The castle is made of solid gold, but you may walk right in and go to the top of the turret on the left. There the golden Prince has his bedroom. There will be many maidservants lying outside the room, but do not mind them, for they will be asleep and snoring. Go to the Prince and lead him out of the castle. He will come with you freely, but do not allow him to bid goodbye to his parents first, or it shall go ill for you!"

When he had finished, the fox stretched out his tail and the prince sat down upon it, and away they went, through stock and stone, until the wind whistled through their hair.

Soon they arrived at the golden castle and Viggo went inside while the fox waited for him. Viggo found that all was as the fox had said. He walked into the golden Prince's bedroom and found him asleep. The golden Prince was indeed beautiful, with rosy skin, and red-gold hair and beard. Viggo touched the Prince's long hair and found it silky to his touch and Viggo wondered if he had found his secret lover. The Prince awakened at the touch and opened his ocean blue eyes. He agreed to leave with Viggo if he could say goodbye to his parents first. Viggo was stunned by the handsome Prince, but he kept his wits enough to refuse the Prince's entreaties.

They left the castle without incident and found the fox waiting for them outside. "Now we must get the golden horse," said the fox.

"How are we to accomplish that?" asked Viggo.

"Listen, youngling, and I will tell you," replied the fox. "Take the Prince to the lord who sent you to the golden castle. He will gladly give you the golden horse in exchange for the Prince. But here is what you must do: when they lead him out to you, mount him at once, and stretch out your hand to each of them to take your leave. Save the Prince for last and when you touch his hand, swing him up onto the horse behind you and ride for the gate. No one will be able to overtake you, for the horse is swifter than the wind."

Viggo did all that the fox told him and soon he was riding away on the golden horse with the golden Prince behind him. The fox stayed with them and after many miles called them to halt.

"I will help you to get the golden bird. Leave the prince here with me and ride the horse to the castle of the lord who sent you for the golden horse. You must ride the horse into the castle yard, where there will be great rejoicing. When they bring the golden bird out, as soon as you lay your hand on the cage, you must start back for us."

Viggo followed the fox's plan exactly and soon came riding back with the treasure. The golden Prince climbed back on the horse and held the birdcage while Viggo thanked his friend.

"What will you give me as my reward?" asked the fox.

"What would you like?" asked Viggo. "I will give you anything in my power."

"When we are passing through the wood, I ask that you should slay me, and cut off my head and my feet."

Viggo was horrified at the thought of so ill-using his beloved friend and refused the animal's request.

"If you will not do it, then I must leave you," sighed the fox. "But first, I will offer two more bits of advice: buy no gallows-meat and take no rest by any brook side." The fox turned and disappeared through the brush in a swirl of red fur.

Viggo found this advice to be so odd that he quickly forgot it. He and the golden Prince started the journey back to Viggo's country. They stopped for the night, and Viggo wondered if his lover would come to him, but his rest was undisturbed.

The next day they entered a village and found the place in an uproar in the central square where a gallows stood. Two men where there with their heads already in the nooses. Viggo was shocked to recognize his older brothers. He questioned a townsman and found that his brothers had been living a life of debauchery and crime and now were to pay the price.

"Is there nothing I can do to save them?" he asked the executioner.

"If you care to waste your money, you may pay their fines and they may go free. But why would you aid such filth?"

Viggo would not be dissuaded, for he loved his brothers dearly, and was soon reunited with them. He introduced his brothers to the golden Prince and they all continued on their way quite merrily. In the afternoon, they came to the wood where they had first met the fox, and it was cool and shady and the brothers suggested that they rest. Viggo consented, having quite forgotten all of the fox's warnings, and went to sit beside the brook. But the two brothers thrust him backwards into the brook, seized the Prince, the horse and the bird, and went home to the Queen.

"See, mother, we have brought you the golden bird, and the golden horse and the Prince of the golden castle, as well."

There was great rejoicing in the castle, but Queen Leandre noticed that the horse did not feed, and the bird did not chirp, and the golden Prince did naught but stare out the window.

The Queen also noticed that her two oldest sons had no explanation for the whereabouts of her youngest son, and as the Queen was not a fool, she grew suspicious. She tried to question the golden Prince, but he refused to look at her. Finally, she devised a plan.

Though she had three grown sons, Queen Leandre was still fairly young and quite beautiful, therefore she ordered her servants to bring the golden Prince to her rooms, and let it be known that she wished to sample his charms.

When they were alone, the Queen led the Prince to a secret tower atop her rooms. "Now," the Queen said, "we are quite solitary here and safe from any spies. I wish to know what happened to my youngest son. Can you tell me?"

The Prince hesitated for a moment and then shook his head.

The Queen was perplexed. "Do you know what happened to Viggo?" she asked.

At this, the golden Prince nodded his head and Queen Leandre understood all. "Have you been threatened if you speak of him?" she questioned. After the Prince nodded once again, the Queen was able to divine the whole story through her own shrewd guesses and the Prince's silent gestures.

When the tale was done, the Queen paced the tower, deep in thought. Finally, she turned to the Prince, "It seems to me that men who do not hesitate to do their brother harm will not balk at other deeds. I have no one of strength to stand beside me in this matter, save for you. Will you aid me?"

The golden Prince broke his silence at last, "Yes, lady, I will gladly help you. What do you require?"

The Queen laughed, "First your name and then we shall see."

The Prince returned her smile happily, "My name is David."

The Queen took one of David's hands, "Well then, David, I ask that you become my consort, for I find you handsome and brave, and as my husband, you will have the authority to defend me and rid my land of the evil my sons have become. Do you consent?"

"With joy, lady, for I find you fair and strong, as well," David replied.

Queen Leandre returned to her rooms with David, and summoned her most trusted servant to fetch a priest. The woman returned quickly with the holy man and the Queen was married to the golden Prince before the dawn lit the sky. Afterwards, Leandre took David to her bed and they tasted all the delights that their flesh could bear.

Viggo, however, had not perished. He fell down into the ravine, but the water below was not deep and he landed on soft moss. But he was stunned from his fall, and could not get up again. He was not abandoned, though, and the faithful fox soon came running up. Though the animal reproached him for not listening, he stretched out his tail and Viggo grasped it and the fox pulled him back up the slope.

"You are not out of danger yet," said the fox. "Your brothers are not sure of your death, so they have posted sentries around the borders of this wood, to kill you if you come out. There is a poor woodcutter working in a clearing nearby, go to him and offer to change clothes with him."

Viggo did as the fox instructed and in that guise was able to enter his mother's castle courtyard. He kept quiet and listened to the talk and soon discovered that his mother had taken the golden Prince as her husband and was even now confronting his brothers with their misdeeds. Viggo hurried to the throne room and was able to find a place in the back where he could witness what occurred, but not be noticed himself.

The golden Prince was listing the brothers' crimes, but they denied everything. Viggo could see that the nobles were not inclined to accept the foreign Prince's word over that of the two men they had known all their lives.

"You claim you did no harm to Viggo, then where is he?" the golden Prince pressed.

"We do not know, but he is a foolish, dreamy one, liable to wander off anywhere. That he is not here is no evidence of any misdeeds on our part," answered the oldest brother.

Viggo had been quietly making his way forward during the debate, and at this statement, threw off his rough cloak, and said, "Here am I! And I vouch that the golden Prince tells nothing but the truth."

Such was the shock in the throne room at this, that all was confusion, but the Queen kept her head and ordered her two oldest sons bound. When all was calm, the Queen ordered the brothers to be banished and a guard of her best knights to take them to the borders of her land and drive them out.

Queen Leandre joyfully welcomed Viggo home. For his part, Viggo was glad to be safe at last, but his heart was bitter at the thought that his secret lover had married his mother. However, he put a good face on his anguish and congratulated David on his marriage.

"May I bestow a kiss on you, to seal you to our family?" he asked his mother and her husband. They readily assented and Viggo moved forward and threaded his hands through David's silky hair before he joined their lips together. David returned the kiss, but after a minute, Viggo pulled away, puzzled. Kissing David was quite pleasant, but it did not ignite a fire in his soul the same way that the kisses of his nocturnal lover had. Viggo concluded with a mixture of relief and regret that David was not the one whom he sought.

Life in the castle soon settled back to normal and Queen Leandre was blissfully happy with David at her side. As soon as Viggo had come home, the golden bird had begun to chirp and the golden horse had begun to feed, and the Queen's wealth was increased immeasurably by the addition of this treasure. The only blot on her happiness was Viggo, who spent most of his time in the gardens, pining for something which he would not name.

Months went by and the Queen at last lost patience with her son, and summoned him to her rooms. "I do not know what ails you, but I can guess. Much as it will grieve me to part with you, I am ordering you to leave here and seek that which you have lost. Do not return until you have found your happiness."

Viggo was grateful that his mother could see at least some of what lay in his heart and he made preparations to leave immediately. He set out the next day and came across the wood where he had found the fox. He sat down on a log, recalling all his adventures, when up trotted the fox.

"I see that you have found your home and are safe," said the fox. "Will you now not grant my boon, after all I have done for you?"

Viggo bowed his head and said tearfully, "You are my most faithful friend and my dearest companion. If this truly be your desire, I will slay you."

"And cut off my head and my feet," added the fox, who then laid himself down at Viggo's feet and stretched out his neck for the killing blow.

Viggo was sobbing as he drew his sword and brought it quickly down on the slender neck. The fox twitched once and then lay still. Viggo wiped the tears from his eyes and completed his gruesome task.

When he had cut off the last foot, a swirl of light appeared above the body of the fox and suddenly, in place of the fox there stood a naked man, tall and lean, with sunny golden hair and soft green eyes.

"Who are you?" Viggo breathed. "You are magnificent."

The stranger smiled and wrapped an arm around Viggo's waist. "My name is Sean. I am David's brother and I have been under a spell these many years. David thought I was lost in a hunting accident, but a sorceress turned me into a fox. I was doomed to be a fox during the day, but a man at night. No one could ever see me when I was a man and I was forbidden to tell anyone that I was cursed."

"But . . . but that means . . . " Viggo was so excited, he was sputtering.

"Yes," Sean said, and covered Viggo's lips with his own. The kiss stirred the fire in Viggo's soul and he knew at once that he had found his secret lover and all the love for which his heart had longed.